Thursday, June 3, 2010

T3: Favourite Things

Start Time- 07:40 h
End Time- 08:44 h
Current Time- 08:19 h

As I sit in the gypsy waiting in excited anticipation for "CP1" to emerge from his temporary hideout (he thought he can wait us out but ha! he doesn't know how much we'd love to get a glimpse of him!) I try to think about other things. The longer we wait, the more convinced I become that he can sense us nearby either because our thoughts are focussed on him so strongly or that he can smell our distinct human scent..or both.

Is it necessary to explain why seeing a tiger never stops being fascinating? All fellow animal lovers will agree that the nature of this sense of wonder for any animal is quite beautifully child-like; eyes widening, mouth half open, a concentration into the much elusive "present moment" that will impress even the most stoic saint...

The most interesting thing about this sighting is that I was the only one in the vehicle along with the driver. So, in a way, I feel honoured as if I am privy, now, to a great secret while everybody else has missed out. I was at the right place at the right time; well not really, I decided to abandon my data collection because of the langurs. This brings me to the second point of pride- no man-made instrument was used to determine the location of the tiger. We simply tracked him down based on the sudden warning calls of the langurs! They croaked.. we listened.. we followed.. we waited..and then, we saw! :)


***
Sights, Sounds, Smells

Imagine an open, stone courtyard, a tea-cum-snack stall squarely situated, with people surrounding it and savouring kachori-kadi and some sipping on tea while squatted in that Indian way on the parapet, smoking beedi at the same time and discussing tigers under the cool shade of Peepal and Gular trees while the temple guard, dressed in his neatly pressed khaki uniform waves around his bamboo lathi summoning, every now and then, the approaching car and directing the tourists to the park at the back of the premises that houses the temple within which rests the monkey god, Hanuman. I'm told this is the only temple in which Hanumanji's statue is in a recumbent posture. The temple, situated in the heart of the Sariska reserve, was built a very long time ago to commemorate Hanuman's meeting with Bhima in the Mahabharata...


I look up from my notebook and see a man rectifying his tilak using the side-view mirror of someone else's car. A little to the right, the temple priest comes out from the back door and proceeds down the stairs calling to the monkeys to give them laddus. That the numerous monkeys and langurs are given prasad from the temple is, in my opinion, quite humourously apt! I smirk and look towards the sky and instead am distracted by some round boyish faces quickly popping out and in from a balcony above me to look down at me stealthily so I wouldn't notice. But I noticed and, after hesitating for a second, waved. The little round faces broke into smiles and so did my heart.


***
Firsts

Gotta love 'em.

The best one?

Getting drenched in the first rain of the season in a place which enjoys primarily arid and excruciatingly hot summers. Somehow that sticky, bothersome memory has been erased and replaced with happy thoughts and smiling faces. You can hear peacocks cooing while one of them descends angelically onto a branch of a tree in the distance. This is one great way to experience the Divine.


***
Just for fun

I get to see, as often as every time I am out in the forest, peacocks proudly fanning their colourful plumes to attract a mate.


Morning tea and afternoon coffee. I am quite spoiled here :D

6 comments:

Priya Shankar said...

Hey! I just stumbled on your blog and wanted to comment :). It's amazing that you spotted a tiger and that you get to see a peacock every time you enter the forest- they really are beautiful creatures! My last night in Delhi, I actually saw a peacock fly over the highway and it was gorgeous. Anyways, enjoyed reading through your posts! Priya

Galaxy Hydrangea said...

Niv! wish I was there too! but your blog is the next best thing :D

btw in that last pic is that a GICU pen? :P

eLmoNiv said...

Thanks Priya :) A peacock flying over a busy city highway sounds like a surreal experience in itself!

@Jen: Haha..indeed!!

Vaga Bond said...

elmo, great post sure to make ordinary non reserve mortals like us go green with envy. like the short snippets style presentation :)

JK Blog said...

Wah wah :D I love the subjects of your photography. And your written adventures. Makes me want to fly down there and join ya! Most awesome dear! :)

eLmoNiv said...

Thank you Pan and J :)