Monday, July 30, 2007

Oh! But there's two sides to a coin!

T: "I've had some experiences that show the other side of sexism. Raised voices about sexism but expectations of chivalry on the other hand.."

Men are increasingly becoming the victims of this sexist movement that emerged along with the Feminist Movement, which started around the eighteenth century. The motivation of this movement, that is equality of the sexes, has remained consistent, but interpretations of this motivation are often blurred by individual vindication and selfish interest, and with reason! However, to assume the worst of all men right off the bat is plain irrational. Personality cannot be predicted by one's gender, just like one's race or religion, and this goes both ways. Women are not victims because they are women, and men are not miscreants because they are men.

The generalized use of the word "man" is, in itself, a social problem. Not only does it subtly assert the supposed superiority of man over woman but it also proves to be a pain in the ass for men at various instances. Think about it. When we talk about a criminal we use the pronoun 'he'. Not 'he/she'. Never 'she'. Petty thieves and murderers to doctors and lawyers, the pronoun used is always 'he'. Why, even "god" is supposed to be a 'He'! Now that's a different issue altogether...

Why do we have seats reserved for women in buses? If you want to be treated equally everywhere then why should that seat in the bus be an exception? I refuse to make a man stand up from a "ladies' seat" just because I'm a woman. That's ludicrous! I am perfectly capable of standing, thank you very much. I am insulted by reservations like these and the ones that exist in educational institutions. Granted, I am from an economically stable family, and I probably have no right to talk. Boys are still given priority over girls when it comes to making a decision of who to educate over whom. Women don't have it easy, I agree. But why should that entitle you to a free seat over someone who may have deserved it more than you? Compensating for women higher up with reservations (which is just a fancy name for a bribe to keep people's mouths shut) does not solve the problem! (Surprise, surprise!)

If the problem of inequality has to be tackled, India's very social structure has to be reformed! Start at home, at school; girls and boys should be allowed play any sport they like. In my school, during band practice, none of the girls were allowed to play any instrument other than the flute, and the boys got to choose from a myriad (way cooler) musical instruments. I mean, what is that about? Treat your female kids the same way you do your male children. A girl has to earn what she wants just like a boy does-clean the car, do your chores, and you will get so-and-so. Teach both of them how to cook, how to drive a car, how to manage accounts, how to stitch! Why the fuck should there be a difference?!

(This has absolutely nothing to do with this blog, but I really want to quote my friend anyway)
T: "It's a good thing you're blogging. I'm such a big lazyass- I actually think about things to write but end up shitting it out the next morning"

No comments: